Yoga Mudra is an ancient technique that we practice during pranayama and meditation. Mudra is a Sanskrit word meaning attitude.
In ancient times, the sages used to perform yoga mudra to keep the five elements inside the body balanced with air, water, fire, earth, and sky.
Our fingers have characteristics of these elements and each of these five elements has a specific and important function inside the body. This is the reason why people still practice yoga mudra.
What is Yoga Mudra
What is yoga mudra? Yoga mudra is a group of physical movements that change a person’s mind, attitude, and perception.
Yoga Mudra works to flow energy in particular parts of the brain. Usually, many elements present in our body are not in a balanced state due to which various diseases take place in the body and the person starts suffering from mild to severe issues.
In such a condition, yoga mudra works to balance the five elements of the body and also helps to keep the whole body healthy.
Types of Yoga Mudra
As mentioned above, there are five elements present in the body and when these elements are imbalanced, the person gets gripped with diseases.
The specialty of these five elements is contained in the fingers of our hands. The five fingers of the hand are located on the air index finger, the water little finger, the firing thumb, the earth finger ring, and the sky middle space.
Based on these, yoga mudra is divided into five groups and it depends on the commonly practiced body parts.
These five groups are the following.
- Hand Mudras
- Head Mudras
- Postural Mudras
- Lock Mudras
- Perineal Mudras
Although there are hundreds of types of yoga mudra, different yoga mudra are practiced to remove different diseases present in the body.
Benefits of Yoga Mudra Asana
1. Varun Mudra
This mudra helps in keeping the water element in the body balanced. It works by whitening the face because the fluids present in the body flow properly and it moisturizes the face well.
Also Read: The Complete Guide of Varun Mudra
2. Gyan mudra
It is the most fundamental yoga pose that helps improve concentration and knowledge.
How to do Gyan Mudra
- Sit very comfortably on the floor in the posture of Padmasana.
- After this, fold your index finger and hover over the thumb.
- Keep the remaining three fingers absolutely straight and these three fingers should not touch each other.
- Now keep the hand above the knee and keep the palm slightly down from the knee.
- Do not give any kind of tension on the hand and close your eyes and sit in this posture for some time.
The Benefit of Gyan Mudra
- Gyan Mudra is very beneficial in removing the insomnia problem.
- This mudra increases concentration and also strengthens the ability of memory.
- By practicing Gyan Mudra daily, psychological problems such as anger, depression, stress, and anxiety are overcome.
- This mudra increases energy in the body and is very beneficial in relieving waist pain.
3. Vayu Mudra
As is obvious from the name itself, Vayu Mudra is done to keep up the parity of air in the body.
Vayu Mudra Method
- Bend your index finger.
- After this, bend the index finger at the base of your thumb and keep it near the base while pressing the bone.
- Keep the remaining three fingers of the hand absolutely straight and do not put any pressure on the fingers.
- After this, keep the palm above the knee and close your eyes and sit for a while.
★ Don’t forget to read them
Vayu Mudra Benefits
- This mudra works to expel excess air from the body and helps in relieving chest pain due to gas.
- The regular practice of Vayu Mudra ends nervousness and restlessness and keeps the mind calm.
- This mudra is effective in removing Vata dosha and in arthritis, gas problem, sciatica, knees, and muscles.
- Apart from this, this mudra is also beneficial to overcome the problem of more sneezing, yawning.
4. Pran Mudra
Pran Mudra is done to keep the life element of the person’s body balanced. This yoga mudra improves the immune system and protects the body from diseases. It is also considered an important mudra because it fills the body with energy.
Way of doing Pran Mudra
- Sit comfortably and tilt your ring finger and little finger lightly and attach them to the tip of the thumb.
- Keep the remaining two fingers of the hand upright.
- Now keep your palm above the thigh.
- Relax the hands and shoulders and close the eyes and sit in this posture for some time.
Benefits of Pran Mudra
- Practicing Prana Mudra strengthens the immune system.
- By practicing this mudra daily, the eyesight increases and the vision gets sharper.
- This mudra is very beneficial to remove eye diseases and eye fatigue.
- This mudra also has many benefits in keeping the body active.
- This mudra is very beneficial in removing vitamin deficiency in the body, protecting it from diseases and making the internal organs active.
5. Shunya Mudra
This mudra is also called heaven mudra and by practicing this mudra, the mind gets a strange kind of peace.
How to do Shunya Mudra
- Sit comfortably on the floor.
- After this, bend your middle finger and bend it from near the middle bone and place the tip of your thumb above the nail of this finger.
- Keep the remaining three fingers of the hand, ie the index finger, ring finger and little finger, straight and separate from each other.
- Now, keep the arm slightly above the knee and hang it on the ground.
- Keep the hands and shoulders in a relaxed posture and keep your eyes closed for a while.
Benefits of Shunya Mudra
By practicing shunya mudra, the problem of hearing impaired or under-hearing can be solved to a great extent. Apart from this, this mudra is also beneficial in relieving ear pain.
This mudra is beneficial in removing heart diseases, throat problems, watery eye problem, and keeping bones strong.
Also Read: 5 Powerful Yoga Mudra For Heart
6. Surya Mudra
This mudra helps in balancing the sun element in one’s body. To take advantage of the sun’s energy, this mudra should be done in the early morning.
How to do Surya Mudra
- Sit comfortably on the ground.
- Fold your ring finger from the middle and bend the thumb over it and keep its knuckles and maintain pressure with the thumb above the slight ring finger.
- Keep the rest of the palm fingers straight and do not tilt them.
- Practice this mudra daily for half an hour in the morning.
Benefits of Surya Mudra
- Practicing Surya Mudra keeps weight under control and does not cause obesity.
- This mudra increases the fire element in the body and helps in keeping the body temperature balanced.
- Surya Mudra works effectively in preventing digestive problems, loss of appetite, shivering, excessive cold in hands and feet.
- This mudra is also beneficial in lowering cholesterol and keeping the digestive system better.