Hatha Yoga is believed to have been practiced in ancient times by yogis and sages. But over time it also became quite popular among the common people.
Like other yoga poses, this Yoga also works to remove various disorders of the body and to restore lost mental peace and to keep the mind calm, to increase resolve and awaken the mysterious powers of the soul.
Nowadays people are taught hatha yoga in different places so that people can improve their lives through it. Let us know what Hatha Yoga is, how to do it, various Hatha Yoga poses and benefits.
What Is Hatha Yoga Meaning
This Yoga is a series of several types of yogasanas. this yoga is made up of the two words of hatha ‘ha’ (Ha) and ‘th’ (tha) where ha means sun and th means moon and the addition of both yoga.
This Yoga means to balance the Sun and Moon in your body. this Yoga is said to be located in a state of equilibrium with the Sun and the Moon.
They are considered to be the two pillars of the human body. The living power of the Sun penetrates through a person’s heart and teaches to control the breaths and circulates blood.
Types of Hatha Yoga Poses
There are many types of mudras under these Yoga. Which are practiced in different ways.
The practice of this yoga postures also depends on body disorders and problems. Each pose of Hatha Yoga is known to relieve different types of disorders.
Therefore, it is advisable to do Hatha Yoga posture only on the basis of the problem that a person suffers from. Some of the popular currencies of Hatha Yoga are:
- Vriksasana(Tree Pose)
- Tadasana(Mountain Pose)
- Adho mukha svanasana(Downward-Facing Dog Pose)
- Baddha Konasana(Cobbler Pose)
- Paschimottanasana(Seated Forward Bend Pose)
- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana(Bridge Pose)
- Balasana (Child Pose)
- Salabhasana(Locust Pose)
- Uttanasana(Standing Forward Bend Pose)
Hatha Yoga Benefits
Many special glands of the body are believed to be stimulated through this yoga and can help increase hormones beneficial for the body. Right now body’s in susceptibility can increment and the body might have the option to shield itself from numerous genuine illnesses.
Yoga is considered a great option to relieve stress. At the same time, this yoga also calms the mind. It helps in relieving mental problems like anxiety and stress.
Also Read ⬇️⬇️
3.Heals the nervous system
Along with mental and physical health, the benefits of hatha yoga include healing the nervous system. Its practice improves blood circulation, which can reduce the tension of the veins.
4.To strengthen bones
The benefits of hatha yoga are also considered for bones. Through this the currencies can be strengthened. It is also believed to be helpful in relieving bones related disorders such as osteoporosis (weakening of bones).
5.Hatha yoga for back pain
Hatha helps in strengthening yogas by increasing their density . It can also be helpful in relieving muscle-related pain. Both of these can be the cause of back pain, so it can be said that back pain can be got through this Yoga.
6.Beneficial for heart health
This Yoga is beneficial for heart health. Actually, it can be helpful in controlling blood pressure and balancing heartbeat as well as reducing weight. All three have been considered as major risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. For this reason, it would not be wrong to say that this yoga can be beneficial in maintaining heart health.
7.For smooth and glowing skin
The practice of this Yoga reduces stress and produces a hormone called cytokine, then repairing the skin helps to make it spotless and shiny. For this reason, it would not be wrong to say that the benefits of Hatha Yoga can be achieved for skin health as well.
How to do Hatha Yoga
As we have been told, Hatha Yoga is a series of multiple postures. Therefore Hatha Yoga is done in order. yoga is a difficult practice and should be practiced only after learning the right way to do it. So you can join Yoga class. Although Yoga is practiced in different ways everywhere. Let us know what is the way of doing Hatha Yoga.
- Start Hatha Yoga with Surya Namaskar. Worship the sun by completing all the steps of Surya Namaskar.
- After this, you do asana. If you are struggling with any physical problem, then do asanas after consulting your yoga teacher. Asanas help in removing all the disorders of the body.
- The third phase of this Yoga is “Meditation”. Close your eyes on the ground and sit in a relaxed posture and meditate to connect your body with the mind, keep the eyes closed and try to control the mind.
- Yoga postures are practiced in the fourth stage of Hatha Yoga. You can practice different types of postures. The postures serve to reconcile the mind with the soul.
- Bandha is practiced in the fifth stage. It is considered extremely important in the series of this Yoga. In this, you have to keep the body in the same position i.e. by tying any part of the body in a particular posture and stopping your breath.
- After this, pranayama is done. This is the sixth stage of Hatha Yoga. Pranayama is practiced to control your senses. It works to remove problems of the body.
- Kundalini Jagran Yoga is performed in the last phase of these Yoga. It works to awaken the secret powers of the body. When these powers are awakened then the person becomes reconciled with his soul.
Some Precautions for Hatha Yoga
- Do not practice Hatha Yoga if you have problems in the waist, hands or joints.
- You should stay away from this exercise if you have a muscle strain or pain.
- If you have undergone any kind of surgery, do not practice hatha yoga at all.
- If you are going to practice this yoga for the first time, do it in the presence of a trainer.
- Pregnant women should avoid hatha yoga.
- In Hatha Yoga, you should pay special attention to physical activities and breathing process.
What is Hatha Yoga Pradipika
Hatha Yoga Pradipika is a famous book related to Hatha Yoga. This book was composed in the 15th century. Many different names of this book are found, including Hathapradipika, Hathayogapradipika, Hathapradi, Hatha-Pradipika, etc.
This Yoga was composed by Swami Swatmaram, a disciple of Guru Gorakhnath. It is considered to be the most influential text of the received texts of Hatha Yoga. There are two other famous texts of Hatha Yoga where Hatha Yoga is described – Gheranda Samhita and Shiva Samhita(1).
There are four chapters in this book, which describe the subjects of posture, pranayama, chakra, kundalini, bandh, kriya, shakti, Nadi, mudra, etc.
It follows the Sanatan Hindu Yoga system and begins with the invocation of Sri Adinath (Lord Shankar). It has the following four preaching-
- First preaching: – It describes asanas.
- Second preaching: – It describes Pranayama.
- Third preaching: – It describes the mudra of yoga.
- Fourth preaching: – There is a description of Samadhi in it.
Download Now : Hatha Yoga Pradipika Free Pdf
Hatha Yoga for Beginners
1.Mountain pose (tadasana)
Stand tall on a yoga mat with legs close to each other and with arms at your side. Distribute weight evenly on the balls of the feet. Tuck your tailbone into the inhale; Raise your arms up and bend them in a prayer position. Keep your breath relaxed and smooth. See a point in front of you. Hold this pose for 60 seconds.
Benefits: A fully performed mountain pose utilizing all the muscles of the body. It helps in improving posture and reduces back pain. The posture also strengthens the thighs, ankles, abdominal muscles and hips.
Start in mountain pose with feet hip-spaced. Keep your feet firmly on the ground and raise your left leg high. Place the left leg on the edge of the right inner thigh. Align your right and left backwards. Stay here, take some deep breaths and try to balance the body. Now, bend your palms in front of your heart in a state of namaste and gaze gently in the forward direction. Hold this pose for 30-60 seconds.
Benefits: Tree pose extends to thighs, shoulders, and waist. It tones the abdominal muscles and is found therapeutic for sciatica.
3.Standing forward bend pose (uttanasana)
Stand on the yoga mat and place your hands on the spine and hip. Take a deep breath, extend your arms towards the ceiling. On exhaling; Bend down at the hips and bring your arms to the floor next to each leg or place your hands behind the ankles. Keep your chest, nose and forehead on the thigh. Hold this pose for 15-20 seconds.
Benefits: This yoga pose extends to the hamstrings and calves. Strengthens thighs and knees. Headache reduces anxiety and is therapeutic for asthma, sinusitis, and hypertension.
★ Don’t forget to read them ⬇️⬇️
4.Downward Facing Dog Pose(Adho mukha svanasana)
Start in a tabletop position. Keep your shoulders and knees with your hips. exhale; Put your toes in, raise your knees on top of the yoga mat and move your feet back. Raise your posture up towards the ceiling. Move your body upside down. Align your head with your arms but do not let it hang. Keep your eyes fixed on the navel. Hold this pose for 20-30 seconds.
Benefits: An effective posture that energizes and re-energizes you. It provides a deep stretch to your hands, calves, hamstrings and makes legs and shoulders strong.
5.Bridge pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
Lie on the floor in a shapely position with bent knees and arms. Bring your heel to your back and press your feet to the ground. exhale; Raise your back, lower back, and chest. Roll your shoulder blades away from your ears. Rest your neck and head on the floor. Combine your hands together under your back. Hold this pose for 30-60 seconds.
Benefits: Regular practice of this mudra opens the heart, chest and shoulders. It gently massages the spine, neck, thighs and back.
Lie flat on your stomach with arms at your sides and elbows bent. Straighten your legs and keep them hip-width apart. On exhaling; Raise your torso, chest and hands off the floor. Keep your hands parallel to your body as well as the ground. Raise your feet over and over the yoga mat. Gaze in the forward direction. Hold this pose for 30-60 seconds.
Benefits: This pose provides flexibility to the muscles around the spine, legs, hips and torso.
Hatha Yoga Sequence
- Surya namaskar
- Standing asana
- kneeling asana
- Sitting asana
- Asana in prone position
- Asana in supine position
- Inverted asana
Now you must have become well aware of what Hatha Yoga is. Along with this, you will also have got information related to its rugs and benefits. Benefits of Hatha Yoga Know that if you also want to include it in your daily routine, then the suggested methods of Hatha Yoga suggested in the article can help to a great extent in the problems mentioned. Just keep in mind that medical advice is very important to treat any problem. Yoga can help in keeping healthy, but it is also important to eat a balanced diet with it. Also, it should always be done under the supervision of a qualified yoga instructor. If you have any other suggestion or question related to this topic, then you can reach us through the comment box below.
- 45 Amazing Benefits of yoga You Will Read This Year 2020
- 13 Easy Yoga For Reducing Belly Fat in 1 Week
- Padmasana Benefits, Steps, and Precautions