Are you thinking about calming your mind and body? So your answer may be an ancient yoga breathing technique called Ujjayi Pranayama. Ujjayi Pranayama is a part of Ashtanga used by the ancient yogis of India. This pranayama is derived from the Sanskrit word “ujjayi”, which means to win or win. Let us know in detail about it.
Meaning of Ujjayi Pranayama (Ocean Breathing)
Ujjai’s pronunciation of ‘Un-Jai-Yai.’
Ujjayi is a Sanskrit word with a prefix ‘ud’ which means a bond added to its root ‘ji’ means conquering or conquering. Together it becomes Ujjayi, which means victorious over one’s bond.
To get the literal meaning of Ujjayi Pranayama, it consists of 2 words ‘Ujjayi’ and ‘Pranayama‘.
Ujjayi Victory over
Pranayama – ‘Prana’ – Time of life and ‘Yama’ – Control
Therefore, it signifies “victorious breathing” and “liberation from bondage”.
It is also known as “mental breath” due to its soothing and calming effects on the mind.
In Ujjayi breathing, the nose is the center for both breathing and exhalation. A congestion or hissing sound is produced, which is called the Ujjai sound. This sound is like the waves of the oceans.
Ujjayi is also known as “cobra breath” or “ocean breath” due to the sound produced during its practice.
Benefits of Ujjayi Breathing (Ocean Breathing)?
- It enhances focused power and a positive attitude.
- By doing this, the body becomes healthy, strong, and bright.
- Regulates cholesterol.
- Also helps in cataract and sinus problems, arthritis, and migraine.
- It reduces the risk of a heart attack.
- Prevents thyroid problems and sweetens voice.
- It is beneficial in chronic cold, cough, indigestion, liver problems, fever, and other diseases.
- Very helpful in asthma problems and other respiratory diseases.
How is Ujjayi Pranayama (Ocean Breathing) Done?
We are giving the method of performing ujjayi pranayama in detail here, read it carefully.
- Sit in any comfortable easement. Relax the entire body.
- Inhale evenly.
- Inevitably, carry your regard for the neck.
- Feel like this or imagine that the breath is coming from the throat.
- When breathing turns out to be moderate and profound, thin the throat. By doing this, there ought to be a moderate clamor when you take all through your throat.
- Presently the breath ought to be long and profound.
- Breathing through both the left, right and the two nostrils as referenced above is the finished pattern of a Bhastrika Pranayama.
- Do this for 10-20 minutes.
- In the event that you experience difficulty sitting for quite a while, Ujjayi Pranayama should likewise be possible by resting or getting solid.
Also Read ⬇️⬇️
When to do Ujjayi Pranayama(Ocean Breathing)
- Ujjayi Pranayama is especially good for balancing tension and mind, whenever you find yourself stressed try Ujjayi Pranayama.
- Try Ujjayi Pranayama for yoga and meditation so that you can flow from one asana to the next.
- While exercising: You can also use Ujjayi when you are doing aerobic exercises like running or cycling.
- This can be done in any position, standing, sitting, or lying.
- This can be done in Shavasan when sleep disturbances are the main point of concern.
- In cases of a slipped disc or vertebral spondylitis, you can practice breathing in Vajrasana or Makrana.
Ujjayi Pranayama(Ocean Breathing) Precaution
- Relax the muscles of the face by strangling to breathe
- Do not tighten your neck very firmly
- See that the air touches the throat
- Try to maintain breathing ratio between exhalation and exhalation
- Don’t overpower
- Try not to rehearse on the off chance that you are experiencing headaches or heart infections. Get appropriate direction from the instructor or educator
- Stay away from brilliant breathing during pregnancy
To overcome your life, you must develop the habit of being victorious in your daily life as well. As it is also known as “mental breath”, it has a very soothing effect on the brain. Ujjayi not only imparts concentration, but also increases endurance and patience.
Ujjayi’s methodology has also had a significant impact on various treatments, for example, in the treatment of insomnia and depression.
It equalizes the breath and increases oxygen. It creates internal heat, which provides heat to the core and helps in performing physical exercises and yoga postures with ease and efficiency.
Ujjayi breathing was a major practice among yogis since the Vedic period. This is the need of the modern world, and we should include this beautiful technique of self-care in our routine.
- Bhramari Pranayama (Humming Bee Breathing) Steps and Benefits
- Bhastrika Pranayama Benefits, Steps, and Precautions
- Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama and the way to Do It
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama Benefits